Make stairs easier for the elderly with a stairlift
You’ll be able to use your stairs easily and worry-free
As we get older, we start to feel the effects of aging. Our balance decreases, which has a negative impact on our lives. Over time, the stairs can become a real obstacle in your home. Using the stairs could be painful, dangerous and almost impossible.
Many people think that continuing to use the stairs and steps will bring health benefits. However, while ‘keeping active’ is generally a good idea, straining to use the stairs can inflict lasting damage on your knee joints. With more use comes more damage. Insisting on taking the stairs could lead to accidents, increase the risk for falls, and injuries due to falls.
According to the National Council on Aging (NCOA), one in four senior Americans falls each year, making it the leading cause of both fatal and nonfatal injuries for adults aged 65+. On our global market research, we find out that half of our stairlift users were facing knee pain prior to deciding for the acquisition of a stairlift – and to prevent falling or to save themselves from pain, what is most likely to happen is that they start avoiding using steps and stairs as much as possible, planning their day around a single floor with a walking stick, so they don’t have to climb stairs or think about getting messy home modifications.
Your home should not be dangerous. Going downstairs for breakfast shouldn’t be stressful. Neither should going up to bed. Specially if you have any level of limited mobility or pain. Falling is a sign that your home environment is not as safe as it should be. You could seriously injure yourself, which could have a dramatic impact on your long-term plans to stay in the home you love.
Stannah have been making stairlifts for the elderly, persons with disabilities and people with different needs for over 40 years. Safety has always been our top priority. Everything we’ve learned we’ve used to make our stairlifts for the elderly safer and more comfortable. Actually, they’re designed to help everyone, regardless of age, get up and down stairs easily, without fear, effort, or the risk of falling.
Click here to watch a video of a Stannah stairlift working.
What can a Stannah stairlift do for the elderly?
- They reduce the risk of falls. We want to ensure you’re safe in your own home. You might start to take precautions to avoid falling down the stairs, but none of them will keep you as safe as a stairlift.
- They give you peace of mind. You know you’re safe on your stairs and in your own home. That’ll give you an added boost of confidence and just knowing that you’re independent will make you feel freer.
- They give you your independence back. You can save the energy you used to use getting up the stairs on other things. Imagine what you could do with that energy.
- They’re installed quickly and easily. Stairlifts take less than a day to install, so you can have your whole house back in no time.
- They’re cheaper and easier than moving house, and offer more comfort than relocating to the ground floor of your house. The cost or bother of buying and installing a stairlift might have put you off. You might think installing a stairlift will mean building work, mess and modifications to your home. The good news is, a stairlift is installed directly on your stairs. In most locations you don’t need a building permit (we’ll advise you) or building work to get your independence back.
- They can be fitted to any types of stairs. Whether your stairs are indoors or outdoors, straight or curved or with landings, narrow or steep.
- They don’t damage your house. All our friendly technicians have to do is drill a few small holes in your stairs as your stairlift is installed. No permanent damage is done and our technicians always clean up after themselves.
- They’re very affordable and economical. Running your stairlift costs less than using your kettle or coffee maker.
- They’re flexible. No matter what your stairs are like, we can install a stairlift that is specifically made to fit them. Not only that, but we also analyze your personal needs, and recommend a chair that will suit them.
Most Recommended Stairlifts for the Elderly
Sadler – The Perch Stairlift
- A perch seat to support your weight, taking strain off your knees, hips and back;
- Adjustable height for better ergonomics;
- Sadler won’t move until the safety seat belt is locked in place;
- No swiveling is necessary as Sadler parks on a landing;
Siena – Extra Comfort Stairlift
- A rounded back and wider seat to help you feel as comfortable as possible;
- Longer armrests to give the elderly extra stability;
- Each part is foldable to fit even even on the narrowest of stairs;
- One-way or two-way power swivel option available;
Request a Free Quote